Moses Climbs Mt. Sinai
Exodus 19 - 20
Moses gets to climb Mt. Sinai (with the help of a few strings). Watch the video to see the full effect.
- Print and cut out the Moses in color or in black and white. Click here for a printable Moses. Then Ten Commandments are not connected. This is on purpose so that when you begin telling the story (when Moses is at the bottom of the mountain), he does not have the Ten Commandments. When he reaches the top, tape the Ten Commandments onto his hands and help him "climb" down.
- Cut two pieces of a straw about 2 inches long.
- Tape the straw to the back of Moses at a slant. Make sure the widest part of the slant is at the bottom. See picture below.
- Cut two pieces of string around 22 inches long.
- Slide one piece of string through one straw.
- Tie a bead on the end of the string so it won't go back through the straw.
- Repeat those steps for the other string.
- Tie the other end of the strings to a popsicle type stick that has grooves in it so it won't slide on the stick. (See picture below. I found these sticks at Hobby Lobby.)
- Cut another piece of string about 12 inches long.
- Tie it around the center of the stick but tie the string in one large loop like a necklace or bracelet. Since there is no groove on the stick to hold it in place, tape it in place.
- This string can be hung on a doorknob and Moses can climb there (without the mountain). This is what I do when I allow the children to make one of these to take home. They don't make a mountain.
- To make Moses climb, pull on each string alternately like in the video.
- To let Moses come back down from Mt. Sinai, just let the natural weight of Moses slide down the string by letting the string go.
The Moses pattern was made with clip art from the book Bible Story Clip and Copy Patterns by Corbin Hillam. This is one of my favorite books to use as patterns for many, many things! This precious book is no longer in print, so Mr. Hillam has graciously allowed me to give you the pattern for free. He has produced a CD with the art from this book. The drawings are fantastic! If you would like to purchase a CD for $15, you can contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. It is well worth the money! Other items by him can be seen at www.corbinhillamdesign.weebly.com.