The Sower and the Seed
A Kids' Modern Day Application Movie
When teaching this parable to elementary children, I wanted them to make sure they understood what this parable means to them today. So, as a class, we created a modern day application movie. I split the class into groups. The children created and performed skits based on their section of the parable. I videoing the skits in the order in which the parable describes them.
Group 1 had verse 12 "Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved." (The kids acted out friends who taught their friend about Jesus, but other people talked him out of ever going back to church or learning more about Jesus again.)
Group 2 had verse 13 "Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing, they fall away."
Group 3 had verse 14 "The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature."
Group 4 had verse 15 "But the seed on the good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.
The kids did an outstanding job of acting out scenes that would occur at school or home or playground that represented all four scenarios.
After church, I electronically sent the videos to each child so they could show their friends and family. (I made a DVD for some who didn't have internet access.) Thus, they were able to retell that story to many people and were very excited to do so!
- If necessary, ask extra adults or teens to assist with this project. I recruited one adult for each of the four groups.
- Obtain video equipment (a video camera, iPhone, iPad, or something like that)
- Prepare assignments for each group.
On the Day:
- Assign children to 4 groups.
- Give each group a copy of the parable highlighting the section that they are creating a skit for
- Explain to each group that they are to create a modern day skit focusing on one particular part of the parable. For example, one group focuses on what it would look like at school or on the playground if the seed was falling on rocky soil
- Have each group go to different areas of the room or a different room to plan and practice their skits with a specified time to rejoin as a large group.
- Come together as a large group.
- Each group performs their skit (in the order of the Bible parable) as someone videos it.
- Send the video to each child through e-mail, Dropbox, or make a DVD to give to each child.
For printable list of these directions with highlighted pages for each group, click here.