I let the children make these fun sock fish when telling stories such as Jesus Feeding the 5,000 (Matthew 14:13-21), Jesus and the Miraculous Catch of Fish (John 21:1-14) and other fish stories.
- Give each child a child-sized sock.
- Using a funnel or a paper plate rolled up to be a funnel, let the child pour dried beans or dried rice to fill up most of the sock.
- Let the child put a small rubberband around the sock to seal it (see picture above).
- Flatten out the fish to look like the picture above.
- Let the child draw eyes with a permanent marker.
- Show the child how to flatten out the fish to be the fish shape like the picture at the very top. He can draw fins if he wants.
- Use the fish as you tell the story.
- Let the children take them home to use to retell the story.